HyperSmash Hues N Blues: Skin & Base Products - Some Favourites

Search This Blog

Monday 13 August 2012

Skin & Base Products - Some Favourites

Hello! I thought today I'd show you some of my favourite products for the face. Over the past year, whilst training as a makeup artist, and working on lots of different people, I've found some things that work really well on almost everyone. I haven't got a product in every category, for example powder and primer, because I haven't found any I like enough to consider it a favourite yet. Onto the products:

Foundations. I love Bourjois foundations. I've tried the 123 Perfect and the Healthy Mix foundations. Both are really great, but the Healthy Mix is particularly fantastic. It has a lovely natural finish, is really easy to blend in, doesn't highlight dry patches, and smells really nice too. 123 Perfect is for those who prefer a more matte complexion, which will be longer lasting on oilier skins. It doesn't need any powder to set it, as it dries to a powdery finish. Bear in mind that this one oxidises slightly after a while, so you might want to go lighter when choosing your shade.


 Concealer. I love both of these concealers. They both work really well for the under eye area as they don't crease over time or look cakey. They can also work to cover blemishes as they are really nicely pigmented. The Collection 2000/Collection (as it's now known as) one is particularly great as it's such a bargain (under £5 when I bought it). However their shades are a little on the pink side. The Bourjois ones are more yellow-toned, which works slightly better under the eyes for most people. It also has a squeezy tube to dispense the product which I really like, as I can squeeze a bit of the product onto a palette, preventing any bacteria transferring. It also means I'll probably waste less when the tube becomes empty.




 Highlighter. I really like this highlighter from Barbara Daly at Tesco. It goes in my makeup artist kit because it works well on so many people. It's not too shiny, not glittery or chunky at all. Just a subtle, glowing, pale pinky peachy shade. You can use something like this to liven up a matte blusher without having a lot of shimmer on your face. Only downside is it's only available from larger Tescos, so it can be hard to find.


Colour Corrector. This is called an Under Eye Concealer, but it's really a yellow-toned colour corrector. How I use it: first apply a liquid or cream concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your skin under the eye & blend out. I then use a small amount of this over the top to set the concealer. It has the effect of reducing blueness under the eyes that a lot of us experience. It's really sheer so easy to use, but can be built up to neutralise stronger blue tones. Before this I'd never seen colour correctors in powder form before. I really love it! Available from Silk Naturals.

Hope this was helpful!

3 comments:

  1. Such a good time for me to read this since i've thought about the bourjouris recently! They seem to be such a good brand, and all i have from them is just two pigments!! How could i??
    The blushers and bronzers look so great, but now i have to check out the concealers and maybe the foundations too!!/Azure

    ReplyDelete